One of the more effective yet inexpensive methods of generating inbound traffic to your small biz website – in both the B2C and B2B spaces – is to host a blog. That doesn’t mean you have to write entries and respond to comments yourself, but the presence of a blog on your business website can increase traffic significantly from web searches, syndication, and other channels. But how do you leverage the strengths of blog marketing? By following these tricks:
- Create a unique voice for your company’s digital presence. Even if you have an existing presence via a website, blogging allows you to broaden your image with content. Maybe it’s the way blog posts are written or unique images that are used. Create a stand-alone position in your market’s mind through your blog.
- Repurpose content from other company materials in your blog. Use content from press releases, announcements, events, reports, etc. to provide ideas for a post or to post directly to the blog. Content seen through one marketing channel may be useful through another channel.
- Invite guest bloggers. Have experts from your industry or complementary industries post entries on your blog. Ask popular bloggers to provide a link to the post on their site (as a courtesy, invite them to include links to their site in the post.) Guest blogging has become very popular among industry leaders for several years. The same impact can be achieved at the local level
- Post different media like video, images, and podcasts. Marketing experts commonly hail the practice of mixed media blogs because some content, such as a product demonstration, are better communicated through video, and research has shown that blog followers enjoy a mix of media types in blogs they follow.
- Do more than comment on your business or the industry. Use various content formats such as how-to tutorials or case studies. Downloadable tools embedded within a blog post can be effective at gathering followers. Blog about popular discussions that are relevant to your prospects on sites like LinkedIn. Use the blog as a means to deliver a well-rounded reader experience.
Do you want three more reasons to add a blog to your small biz marketing strategy? According to a 2009 study by HubSpot, a marketing research firm, companies that blog achieve:
- 55% more website traffic
- 97% more inbound links
- 434% more indexed web pages
If you want to be found on the web, a blog is a great way to get more prospects.